Built originally to accommodate 600 children, Force Elementary opened Jan. 31, 1955, with an enrollment of 930 children. In April 1955, construction began on a new 12-room addition, which was designed to accommodate 960 children. It consisted of 24 regular classrooms, two kindergartens, three art and social studies rooms, a library, a gymnasium, an auditorium, and a multipurpose room with cafeteria facilities.
Force Elementary is named after Anna Laura Force, who served DPS for 54 years as teacher and administrator. She was born April 13, 1868, in Denver, and attended Denver Public Schools. After receiving a master’s degree from Colorado State College of Education, she did advanced work at Columbia University and the University of California. Ms. Force was active in professional and civic organizations. The spirit or daring and conquest so characteristic of early pioneers was evident in her teaching career.